Are you like: I’ve heard of it, around the traps, but I dont actually know what a Life Coach does…?
Not to worry, I’ll soon clear that up for you
Besides lounging around in mismatching pyjamas and probably eating cereal for lunch, a Life Coach supports you to make positive and meaningful change in your life (a life that might currently feel a bit boring, unfulfilling and unhappy for you).
Life Coach’s (LC’s from here on in) help you set & achieve your goals as well as making habits that support you — instead of effing you up — so you can get on with being the person you want to be.
(Probably, a bloody legend)
Why see a Life Coach?:
- To help you nut out which aspect of your life you feel is most out of balance (Your relationships (with yourself & others / Financial situation / your career)
- Help you see what makes you happy;
- Map out a clear direction for you so you stop dilly dallying around working in a job you loathe and scrolling your life into oblivion on social media;
- Support you to become aware of how to fill YOUR OWN needs;
A lot of people think that coaching is another form of counselling, or giving advice, it is neither. We listen, non-judgmentally, and help ‘prod’ you in the right direction — to find a solution.
Counselling can help you uncover and heal your issues from the past – this is an important step to you being able to forgive and move past hurtful experiences – but Life Coaches generally don’t need to know your stories of your past . We’re more interested in where you are now and where you want to go.
My promise to you as a coach:
The most important gift I hope to give you is the gift of acceptance. Our relationship will be based on trust, I want you to know that:
- What you tell me will not be repeated
- I will not judge you
- Its okay to be less than perfect
- You can admit your mistakes to me and I wont tell you you’re an idiot. I’ll even tell you about all the times I f*cked up to make you see that everyone does it from time to time
You need a life coach if:
- You feel stuck due to fear — like there’s a constant feeling of mild anxiety following you around. A life coach will hold the space for you to name your fears, give you tools to take action despite them, and change the way you look and feel about your fears. You’ll still have fears, you’ll just be able to stand up to them with more courage.
- You cant seem to switch off the constant mind chatter
- You feel lost — like nothing you’re achieving is giving you lasting satisfaction
- You’re lacking in confidence
- You’re often a bit of a snappy trout. Your emotions take you (and those around you) on a never ending roller-coaster… that you’d really like to just get off
- Not sure who you are — a coach help’s you sort out what your true personal values are so you can get clear on what is important to you. Thus leading to feeling more ‘fulfilled’
- You’re unhappy — a coach will help you pinpoint why you’re unhappy (many times you think it’s one thing, when it’s actually another) and help you make changes.
You dont need a life coach if:
- You are totally done growing, learning, and are at your full potential;
- You have been clinically diagnosed with a psychological disorder (depression, severe anxiety, or other condition that requires expert treatment) — Coaches are not qualified to do this;
- You cant be bothered to do the work. You plan to just turn up to coaching sessions hoping I’ll just‘fix you’. We are not magic and we can’t do the work you need to do for you, we just give you the tools to make positive change and keep prodding you back in line when you stray.
I’ll tell you one thing I know for sure — No matter what you feel, there is always a way forward.
I hope next time you are in a life or death situation, and the deciding question is: Tell me what a Life Coach does — you can confidently SAVE YOUR ASS and cleverly regurgitate some of which I’ve told you above.
(I have a life changing online course coming very soon! Subscribe (to my blogs over here) to be kept in the loop of its announcement and special early bird pricing!)